Rhubarb Custard Pie
by Vintners Resort Executive Chef Tom Schmidt
We pride ourselves on serving the best comfort pies at Vintners Resort. Paying tribute to Rhubarb Custard Pie, this delicious dessert will fill your kitchen with the sweet aroma of rhubarb and cinnamon.
- Pie Dough
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1-4 tbsp ice water
- Rhubarb Custard Filling
- 3 cups rhubarb, 1⁄2” dice (about 1 lb untrimmed)
- 1 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 farm eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp star anise, freshly ground
- Preheat oven to 400°, preferably a convection oven.
- Dice butter and freeze.
- Put flour, salt, and chilled butter in a food processor. Pulse until it forms large crumbs. Add 2 tbsp ice water. Pulse for 20 seconds until the dough forms a ball. If the dough is too dry, add more water, a small amount at a time.
- When a ball has formed, remove it from the food processor, wrap it in plastic, and place it in the refrigerator to cool for at least a 1⁄2 hour.
- Roll out the dough into a 12” circle, about 1⁄4” thick, and then lay out the dough in a 9” pie pan, crimping the edges. Cool in the refrigerator for another 1⁄2 hour.
- Chop the rhubarb and place rhubarb into the unbaked pie shell.
- Beat eggs lightly, add flour, and mix until there are no lumps. Add cream, sugar, and cinnamon. Mix well and pour over the rhubarb.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn the oven to 350° and bake for about 40 minutes more. The pie should be set and lightly brown on top. Enjoy!