Bread and Butter Pickles
by Vintners Resort Executive Chef Tom Schmidt
We invite you to indulge in our signature pickles – a frequent request at Vintners Resort. Crisp, slightly sweet, and always refreshing, this easy-to-make side dish pairs perfectly with your favorite sandwich or burger.
- 25 cucumbers
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 5 cups apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 tsp celery seed
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 15 whole garlic cloves
- Wash cucumbers and slice in 3/8’ slices.
- Peel and thinly slice onions, wash, and trim.
- Dice bell pepper into 1⁄4” dice.
- Mix all together with salt and let sit for 1 hour. Let all water drain off and put it in a non-reactive container, such as plastic.
- In a stainless-steel saucepan, bring the following ingredients to a boil: apple cider vinegar, sugar, celery seed, yellow mustard seeds, and whole garlic cloves.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, pour over the cucumbers. When cool, cover and put in refrigerator overnight. Enjoy as a snack or condiment!