Website Vintners Resort
Vintners Resort is a full-service hospitality experience surrounded by 92 acres of vineyards, complete with a 78-room hotel with vineyard view rooms, a full-service event center, multiple wedding venues, the award-winning John Ash & Co. Restaurant, River Vine Café, The Front Room Bar & Lounge and the state-of-the-art Vi La Vita Spa. Learn more about us at www.vintnersresort.com where we Celebrate Everything!
We are seeking an energetic Executive Chef to join and lead our culinary team! The Executive Chef will report to the Director of Food and Beverage and is responsible for the development and oversight of the overall strategic vision of the culinary program, the effective leadership of sous and banquet chefs, excellent customer service skills, and supervision of department requirements and standards. The Executive Chef is responsible for the daily operations of all Vintners Resort outlets, including the planning, development and execution of new menus and pricing, equipment, and budget planning, cost control, and profit management. The Executive Chef will partner and collaborate with the General Manager and Director of Food & Beverage to focus on the vision of the restaurant. In this executive leadership role, the Executive Chef serves as a role model and mentor to the kitchen staff and must always maintain a professional appearance and demeanor.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND JOB DUTIES:
- The Executive Chef will provide the highest quality culinary experience to the guests and patrons at Vintners Resort.
- The Executive Chef is accountable for all aspects of the kitchens and staff, including responsibility for hiring, motivating, coaching, development, and performance management of all culinary staff.
- Must maintain complete control of the kitchen and the respect of the culinary staff. Maintain professional and respectful workplace for employees. Must be able to stay cool under pressure, treats the staff fairly and with respect.
- Must be passionate about food and guest experience. Must be able to recognize subtle nuances in flavors and willing to test the status quo through menu experimentation and crafting new menu combinations. Responsible for enhancing the quality of food product that is presented to guests.
- Focus on local, sustainable, seasonal and organic ingredients. Create custom and sustainable menu options.
- Enhances menus and recommends changes to the food product. Use market research to develop new products and ensure consistency in food delivery and standards. Responsible for menu development and pricing.
- Be one of the primary representatives in media outlets (print, televised and social media) for food and beverage offerings at the resort.
- Responsible for maintaining food safety, sanitary and safety standards in each of the resort’s F&B outlets.
- Control food and labor costs. Experience with the budget development process and cost control.
- Make changes that respond to the marketplace and to guests’ needs, both present and anticipated.
- Provide support to the Executive Committee, particularly to the Director of Food & Beverage, the Food & Beverage Managers, Director of Sales and Marketing, and Sales Managers.
- Delegates and supports team goals and measures effectiveness through the Food & Beverage profit and service performance of the hotel.
- Communicates clearly, professionally, concisely, and respectfully. Ability to delegate tasks with appropriate and clear instructions with follow through and follow up.
- Responsible for the financial management of the operation. Set margins and manage the business against projections. Make decisions that relate to profit and loss.
- Responsible for ensuring that BEOs are followed by the culinary team, and any changes are made and attend operational meetings as needed.
- Spanish not required but preferred.
- All other duties as assigned within scope of the role.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with solid track record as an Executive Chef or Chef de Cuisine in an upscale, fine dining, fast paced, high quality environment.
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial
- A passion for cooking fresh, seasonally driven cuisine while understanding the business aspect of the restaurant.
- Creative with a sensitive palate and a keen sense of taste and smell
- Strong work ethic, willing to work long hours.
- Must have experience with internet software, spreadsheet, and word processing software.
- Must have restaurant financial (i.e., P&L) experience and knowledge. Strong math skills as well as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Knowledge of Sonoma County Restaurant Industry, food & beverage service, cost control, labor control, maintenance, merchandising, and accounting
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws and regulations as it relates to safely serving food and ensuring culinary staff have all been trained on safety standards and certified to handle food.
- Expert in food product, presentation, quality and preparation along with menu concept and menu design required.
- Previous experience with creating schedules, labor costing, payroll administration, employee performance management required.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving abilities.
- Must be able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment, and focus attention on guest needs, always remaining calm and courteous.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight into marketing, cost and wage control.
- Hands-on and takes ownership of the kitchen and menu development, thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy and collect accurate information to resolve conflicts.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Manages the Sous Chefs and Banquet Chef, including setting the schedules. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of F&B Culinary outlets at the resort. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience: BA or related culinary degree with eight or more years of industry and culinary management experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: California Food Handlers Certification – Management Certification
Base Salary Range: $135,000 -$155,000 per year, based on background and experience. This position is eligible to participate in our Sales Incentive Program which will be based on an annual goal and will be paid out quarterly. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Benefits: Complete benefits package
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Medical, Dental and Vision Health insurance
- Vacation, Holiday and Sick Paid time off
- Generous employee discounts
Schedule: Position will work onsite, and the schedule may vary depending on business priorities.